Friday, March 02, 2012

DISJOINTED

A refreshing word, refreshingly deposited here by Los Angeles blogger Arlee Bird (Tossing It Out) in righteous reaction to a posting of mine titled "The Academics Want What the Circus Will Never Give Them." If interested, scroll down a half a dozen or so postings ...

Chirped our visiting Bird, "I've never had the pleasure of seeing a Cirque du Soleil production in person, but I've seen videos. They are excellent entertainment and I guess this form is part of the evolution of circus. I still think there is a place for the traditional sometimes disjointed presentation of a series of independent circus acts. Cirque is slick, but sawdust circus is the gritty dream of days gone by. There is a place for all of it--animals included."

Amen!

Arlee's select use of "disjointed" gave me a circus high, to which, a few disjointed musings of my own:

I am fully capable, I think, of getting caught up in a disjointed show, so long as it flows, so long as it has that good old circus pacing. Not am I in favor, no way, when certain commercial disruptions (not to be disjointedly named here) disjoint the flow of action.

The newer non-animal companies (of which, happy to report, there are still precious few on the planet) have an easier time avoiding the disjointed image, but they also offer less of a spread.

Disjointed can actually be a virtue, when the VARIETY it serves up, WELL PACED, creates a rare excitement of contrasts and surprises.

And, finally, sometimes the disjointed connections between disparate acts only makes each seem that much more unique ...

Thanks, Arlee. And may all your days be delightfully disjointed.

No comments: